Making the decision to change your smile through cosmetic dentistry can take time and a careful discussion with your dentist regarding the best options for you. Porcelain veneers are an excellent option for transforming your smile from ordinary to dazzling. When making such a big decision it should be an educated one. Porcelain veneers are a great option for those who want to change their smile shape and give you that perfect smile. Understanding what they are, what they can do for your appearance, and the procedures involved.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are super thin, custom fabricated shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your smile. These porcelain shells are adhesively bonded to the front of the teeth. Porcelain veneers have the ability to change the color, shape, size, or length of your teeth.
Porcelain veneers have the following characteristics:
- -Translucent qualities — Like natural tooth enamel, porcelain veneers are translucent, meaning they allow some light to pass through and reflect off the natural dental material. This gives the veneer a natural depth, providing for a dazzling smile.
- -Color matching — If you are replacing multiple teeth, then all your veneers can be a natural, bright color. When covering just one or two teeth, porcelain veneers can easily be matched to the surrounding natural teeth in order to provide a consistently beautiful smile.
- -Non-porous surface — Porcelain veneers are ceramic glass and are non-porous, preventing future stains from ruining your new smile.
What Can Porcelain Veneers Do For Your Smile?
Porcelain veneers are used in cosmetic dentistry to alter your front teeth in a variety of ways.
- -Making shorter teeth longer.
- -Reshaping a smile
- -Changing color (porcelain veneers can can be viewed as permanent teeth whitening)
- -Restoring worn teeth with weak or worn down enamel.
- -Close Gaps Between Teeth.
- -Repairing cracked, chipped, or broken teeth.
- -Minor Realignment Of Teeth. Porcelain veneers are also called “instant orthodontics” for this reason. They can straighten slightly out of place teeth to create a perfect smile.
Porcelain veneers are generally completed across the front 6 teeth on either the top or bottom or both. Single porcelain veneers can also be done to change individual teeth with minor flaws.
Additional Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers can also change other parts of your face.
This can include:
- -Lip Enhancement – The extra layer that porcelain veneers add to teeth pushes the lips just slightly outward, can lead to fuller lips that look very natural.
- -Strengthening sensitive teeth – Worn teeth lacking enamel will make patients feel twinges when their teeth are exposed to hot or cold. Porcelain veneers will strengthen the teeth by covering the exposed layers of the tooth leading to improved comfort.
- -Increased Smiling.
Procedures involved in Porcelain veneer fabrication
-Most teeth require some removal of enamel to shape and prepare the surface for the veneer. -Impressions of the teeth before and after the preparations. -Diagnostic study models and photos are to find what will look best. -Temporaries are worn while the veneers are being created. -Veneers are adhered to the teeth with bonding resins. -Proper maintenance and care at home and with regular professional cleanings.
The decision to have porcelain veneers is a large and permanent commitment. You need to understand and decide whether this procedure is right for you. If you find that porcelain veneers are the correct choice, you and your dentist can work up and design your custom smile. Following placement of your new porcelain veneers you are able to leave the dentist office with the smile of your dreams.
Once your permanent veneers have been placed and bonded to your teeth, you can enjoy the many benefits that they have to offer immediately. Your cosmetic dentist will give you proper aftercare instructions so you can maintain your new smile for years to come. It is important to maintain regular dental examinations and professional cleanings to keep your smile looking its best for years to come.