Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that provide a permanent base for fixed or removable replacement teeth. They are surgically placed into the jawbone, where they fuse with the bone (called osseointegration) and provide stable support for artificial teeth. Implants can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple missing teeth, and can also be used to support dentures or bridges. The success rate of dental implants is high, and with proper care, they can last for many years.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants work by surgically placing a small titanium post into the jawbone to serve as an artificial tooth root. Over time, the bone surrounding the implant heals and fuses to the implant, creating a strong, stable foundation for the artificial tooth.
Once the implant has integrated with the jawbone, a dental abutment is attached to the top of the implant, and a crown (or artificial tooth) is attached to the abutment. The crown is made to match the shape, size, and color of the surrounding natural teeth, providing a natural-looking and functional replacement for the missing tooth.
In the case of multiple missing teeth, multiple implants can be placed and connected with a bridge or denture to provide a stable, secure base for the artificial teeth.
Overall, dental implants are designed to provide a long-lasting, functional, and natural-looking solution for missing teeth.
Dental implants offer several benefits over other tooth replacement options, including:
- Improved appearance: Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, restoring the natural appearance of your smile.
- Improved speech: Loose dentures can cause difficulty speaking, but dental implants are firmly anchored in the jaw, allowing for normal speech.
- Increased comfort: Implants eliminate the discomfort associated with removable dentures, which can slip and move around in the mouth.
- Improved oral health: Unlike dental bridges, which require reducing the adjacent teeth for support, dental implants do not rely on other teeth for support and can help preserve healthy teeth.
- Increased durability: Dental implants are designed to last for many years with proper dental hygiene care.
- Improved self-esteem: Having missing or damaged teeth can impact self-esteem, but dental implants can help restore confidence in your smile.
- Enjoy your favorite foods: Implants function like natural teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without discomfort or embarrassment.
Overall, dental implants can provide a long-lasting, functional, and natural-looking solution for missing teeth, offering several benefits over other tooth replacement options.
Disadvantages to dental implants
While dental implants offer several benefits over other tooth replacement options, there are also some drawbacks to consider, including:
- Cost: Dental implants can be more expensive than other tooth replacement options, such as bridges or dentures.
- Surgical procedure: Placing dental implants requires a surgical procedure that can be invasive, and recovery time can be several weeks.
- Possible complications: As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of complications, such as infection, nerve damage, or sinus problems.
- Time commitment: The process of getting dental implants can take several months from start to finish, requiring several appointments and follow-up visits.
- Maintenance: Dental implants require maintaining good dental hygiene and regular dental exams to maintain their health and longevity.
- Not suitable for everyone: In some cases, such as those with insufficient jawbone or health problems that affect healing, dental implants may not be a suitable option.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Dental Implants?
A good candidate for dental implants should have:
- Healthy gums: The gums must be in good health to support the implant and to ensure proper healing after the surgical procedure.
- Adequate jawbone: A strong, healthy jawbone is necessary to provide proper support for the implant. If the jawbone is too thin or weak, a bone graft may be necessary.
- Good overall health: Individuals with certain health conditions or habits (such as heavy smoking or uncontrolled diabetes) may not be suitable candidates for dental implants.
- Commitment to oral hygiene: Good oral hygiene is essential for the long-term success of dental implants, and candidates must be committed to maintaining proper oral health.
- Realistic expectations: Dental implants are a long-term investment and require a commitment to proper care. Candidates must have realistic expectations about the procedure, recovery, and maintenance.
How much do implants cost and does insurance cover the cost?
The cost of dental implants can vary depending on several factors, including the type of implant, the number of implants required, and the geographic location of the dental practice. On average, the cost of a single dental implant can range from $1,500 to $6,000 or more.
Insurance coverage for dental implants can vary based on the individual policy. Some insurance plans may provide partial coverage for dental implants, while others may not cover the procedure at all. It’s best to check with your insurance provider to determine the specific coverage and out-of-pocket expenses for dental implants.
In some cases, alternative financing options, such as dental loans (care credit) or payment plans, may be available to help make dental implants more affordable. It’s important to discuss the cost and financing options with Dr. Perrone to find the best solution for your specific needs.
Dental Implants Are Highly Successful
The success rate of dental implants is high and typically ranges from 95% to 98%. With proper placement and care, dental implants can last for many years, providing a functional and natural-looking replacement for missing teeth.
However, there are several factors that can impact the success of dental implants, including the quality of the implant and abutment material, the skill of the dental professional, and the patient’s commitment to proper oral hygiene. Additionally, certain health conditions, such as uncontrolled diabetes or periodontal disease, can also impact the long term success of dental implants.
Overall, dental implants have a high success rate and are considered a safe and effective solution for missing teeth when proper care is taken. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help ensure the health and longevity of dental implants.
How Can You Afford Dental Implants?
If your dental insurance does not offer dental implants benefit, there are a few other ways you can afford the cost:
- CareCredit – You can consider using CareCredit. This healthcare credit comes with a 0% interest rate for one year to help cover dental implants treatment costs.
- Dentist Provided Payment Plans – Many dentists offer in-office payment plans for affordable dental implants. Speak to your dentist regarding payment options.
Dental implants are the perfect option for just about anyone’s smile. You and your dentist can decide together what the right choice is to restore and enhance your smile. One thing is for sure your quality of life will increase with dental implants.
“Better Smile, Better Life!”
Contact Marielaina Perrone DDS at (702) 458-2929 to schedule a no-cost cosmetic consultation appointment if you are ready for a smile makeover. We cannot wait to help you with your oral health and your smile makeover to create the smile of your dreams in Summerlin, Henderson, and Las Vegas, NV.