Dental implants are a popular solution for replacing lost or damaged teeth due to their natural feel and appearance. They blend seamlessly with your other teeth and offer the most secure replacement option by integrating with your jawbone. With proper care it makes it easy to forget that they are not your natural teeth.
Dental implants have a high success rate of over 98% when performing the procedure correctly. However, it’s essential to understand the possible causes of the rare cases of implant failure. These reasons may include patient negligence or poor dental hygiene, osseointegration failure, sinus problems, allergies to metal, or foreign body rejection.
Poor Dental Hygiene Maintenance
Proper maintenance is crucial for the longevity of dental implants, and neglecting self-care can lead to plaque buildup and infections around the implant. Peri-implantitis is a typical infection that results from inflammation around the titanium post, causing infection in the gums surrounding the implant.
If left untreated, this gum disease can be painful and lead to bone loss, eventually leading to dental implant failure. However, if caught early, it can be reversed. Maintaining a daily oral care regimen is vital to prevent such a scenario. Stay on top of your dental hygiene to avoid complications and ensure your dental implants last a lifetime.
Failure To Osseointegrate
Proper osseointegration is vital for the long-term success of dental implants. This is the process through which the implant fuses with your jawbone, providing a strong and stable foundation. However, several factors can contribute to osseointegration failure, including low bone density, improper implant positioning, tissue damage, overloading, trauma to the implant site, and fractured implants.
To prevent these issues from occurring, it’s crucial to choose an experienced dentist, like Dr. Perrone, who can conduct the procedure correctly and in the recommended steps. Maintaining good oral hygiene is also essential. Plaque and infections can develop on and around the dental implant, leading to peri-implantitis, which can cause bone loss and implant failure. Taking care of your dental implant just like a regular tooth can avoid potential problems and ensure its longevity.
Improper placement of a dental implant can interfere with the patient’s sinus cavity, which can cause discomfort and infection. To prevent such failure, choosing a qualified implant dentist who can perform a sinus graft with expertise is essential. This procedure ensures that the implant is positioned correctly, minimizing the risk of any complications.
In rare cases, some patients may have an allergic reaction to metals like titanium and nickel, commonly used in dental implants. To prevent inflammation and any discomfort after the procedure, getting tested for these allergies before getting an implant is recommended if you have a history of allergic reactions.
Foreign Body Rejection
On rare occasions, the body may reject a dental implant, similar to how it can occur with organ transplants. If this happens, you may feel that the implant is loose as your body tries to push it out. If you experience this issue, it’s crucial to contact your dentist immediately to address the situation promptly.
Dental Implant Process
- Initial Consultation: The first step is to schedule an initial consultation with Marielaina Perrone DDS. During this consultation, Dr. Perrone will evaluate your oral health, take x-rays and scans of your mouth, and determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
- Treatment Plan: If you are a good candidate, Dr. Perrone will create a treatment plan that includes the number of implants needed, the type, and the steps involved in the procedure.
- Implant Placement: The next step is to place the dental implant into your jawbone. This is typically done under local anesthesia, and the dentist will make a small incision in the gum tissue to access the jawbone. Then, they will drill a small hole in the jawbone and insert the implant. Once the implant is in place, the dentist will close the incision with stitches.
- Osseointegration: After the implant is placed, the process of osseointegration begins. This is the process by which the implant fuses with the jawbone and becomes a permanent part of the mouth. This process typically takes several months.
- Abutment Placement: Once osseointegration is complete, Dr. Perrone will place an abutment on the implant. The abutment is a small connector piece attaches the implant to the crown.
- Crown Placement: The final step is to place the crown onto the abutment. The crown is the visible part of the dental implant that looks and functions like a natural tooth. The crown is custom-made to match the shape and color of your surrounding teeth.
- Follow-up: After the procedure, Dr. Perrone will schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure the implant is healing properly and there are no complications.
Dental implants are a popular and effective way to replace lost or damaged teeth. While the success rate of dental implants is high, there is a slight chance of failure. It is essential to be aware of the possible causes of dental implant failure, such as patient negligence, osseointegration failure, sinus problems, allergies to metal, and foreign body rejection. To avoid these issues, it is essential to choose an experienced dentist, like Dr. Perrone, who can conduct the procedure correctly and in the proper steps.
Additionally, patients should be diligent in maintaining good oral hygiene and follow their dentist’s post-operative instructions. By being proactive and informed, patients can maximize the chances of a successful dental implant procedure and enjoy the benefits of a beautiful, functional smile for years to come.
Schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation appointment with Marielaina Perrone DDS at (702) 458-2929 to start your journey towards a dream smile in Summerlin, Henderson, and Las Vegas, NV. Our team is eager to assist you with your oral health and smile makeover needs.
Dr. Marielaina Perrone is a highly respected and experienced dentist in Henderson, Nevada, with over two decades of expertise in providing quality dental care to her patients. She graduated from Stony Brook University School Of Dental Medicine and has completed advanced training in cosmetic dentistry, implant dentistry, and orthodontics.
Dr. Perrone is committed to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dentistry and continuing education to provide the best possible care for her patients.
Dr. Perrone takes a patient-centered approach and believes in personalized treatment plans tailored to each individual’s unique needs and preferences. Her gentle and compassionate demeanor creates a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere for patients during their dental appointments.
Aside from dentistry, Dr. Perrone enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and cooking. She also volunteers her time and expertise to various charitable organizations in her community.