Porcelain veneers are often used to create a Hollywood smile makeover. Many actors and actresses have undergone this same procedure in search of the perfect smile. Cosmetic dentistry is a combination of art and science. Your dentist can restore and enhance any smile. An ideal smile is in the eye of the beholder.
Some patients, having small gaps between their teeth or a tooth slightly out of alignment as part of their characteristic smile. Porcelain veneers are ideal when cosmetic changes need to be made without the need for more invasive dental procedures.
Porcelain veneers are made from custom dental ceramic for several different reasons. Not only is ceramic biocompatible, but it can mimic your natural smile than traditional composite resin. Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin shells that are custom fabricated and designed to bond directly to your smile.
The shape, size, and color of your veneers are all custom to fit over your damaged teeth, so there’s no worry it will not be 100% cosmetic. With proper dental hygiene maintenance, porcelain veneers can last between 10 and 15 years before needing replacement.
- Desire For A New, Beautiful Smile. Typically, when someone openly wants a change in appearance, they are usually more receptive to the proper maintenance of that appearance. If the porcelain veneers are not well maintained, they can develop tooth decay and break down. Regular dental examinations, professional cleanings, and excellent at-home dental hygiene are essential to keeping your new smile looking its best.
- Periodontal Tissues Free Of Disease/No Tooth Decay. If extensive tooth decay, broken teeth, or periodontal disease are present, you will not be considered a good candidate for porcelain veneers. Optimal dental health is necessary for the long-term success of porcelain veneers. The mouth needs to be healthy and stable to allow porcelain veneers even to be considered an option. A complete thorough dental examination will be required to assess your dental health thoroughly. If your mouth is not in excellent health, it is best to avoid porcelain veneers. This is due to an increased chance of failure. Once healthy, it is ok to consider the procedure again.
- Smile Alignment. Patients with severely misaligned teeth are not good candidates. This misalignment will cause issues with the preparation of teeth for porcelain veneers. A well-trained, experienced cosmetic dentist will be quite conservative when removing natural tooth structures. If the teeth are badly misaligned, more tooth structures will need to be removed to accommodate the new veneers. Removing excess tooth structure can lead to tooth sensitivity and even nerve exposure (requiring possible root canal treatment). For a severely misaligned smile, Invisalign or traditional orthodontics may be needed to bring them into proper alignment.
- Sufficient Tooth Enamel Present. Tooth enamel is required for the porcelain veneers to properly bond to your teeth. If the teeth have undergone severe trauma, porcelain veneers will not bond well and may not be a good option for you. For these patients, a full crown may be a better option.
- Tooth Color. Typically, porcelain veneers look their best when they are thin and translucent. It is advised to have a teeth whitening treatment before veneers if you have severely discolored teeth. Blocking out of underlying staining is possible, but the cosmetic result will not look as natural.
- Gum Tissue Alignment. Proper gum tissue contours are necessary to give a natural appearance. If the gum line heights are out of proportion, your dentist must recontour them. This gum tissue alignment is done with a gingivectomy procedure before veneer placement.
- Oral Habits: Nail Biting, Teeth Clenching/Teeth Grinding (Bruxism). Patients who are severe teeth clenchers or teeth grinders are typically not good candidates for porcelain veneers. Veneers do not have the strength to withstand the powerful stresses put forth by these oral habits. A nightguard will be recommended before porcelain veneer treatment for patients who might only grind their teeth at night. Other oral habits, such as biting nails, chewing on pens, and opening items with your teeth, will also cause damage to veneers. These habits will lead to the early failure of your new veneers.
Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
- Natural Translucency — Translucency refers to the way that light can pass thru something. Our natural teeth allow light to pass thru, so the modern design of custom porcelain veneers will mimic those same translucent properties. The light translucency of dental porcelain gives porcelain veneers a natural depth, providing a dazzling Hollywood smile.
- Close Gaps Or Spaces Between Teeth
- Color matching — If you are replacing multiple teeth, then all your veneers can be a natural, whiter color of your choosing. When covering just one or two teeth, matching custom porcelain veneers can be easily achieved to provide a consistently beautiful smile that no one should ever notice are not your natural teeth.
- Enhancement Of Lips – The extra layer that porcelain veneers add to teeth pushes the lips just slightly outward. This plumping can lead to fuller lips that look very natural. If you desire more volume to your lips, Juvederm dermal fillers can help as well.
- Financial Cost – When compared against multiple other cosmetic treatments to fix your smile, Porcelain veneers will actually save you money and look better over the long term.
- Protection against Tooth Sensitivity – Worn teeth lacking sufficient enamel will make patients feel twinges when exposed to hot or cold. Porcelain veneers will strengthen and protect the teeth by covering the exposed layers of the tooth leading to improved patient comfort.
- Non-porous surface — Porcelain veneers are dental ceramic glass and are non-porous, preventing future stains from ruining your new smile.
- Long-Lasting Dental Restoration – Porcelain veneers, when properly maintained, can last a very long time. Proper dental hygiene is a must, along with regular dental examinations to check there are no issues along the margins of your new veneers. Replacing porcelain veneers can be quickly done as well if ever needed. They will match your existing veneers perfectly.
- Natural Appearance – Your new smile will be fresh and vibrant but natural in appearance. As mentioned previously, the light will shine onto new porcelain veneers just like other teeth in your smile. No one should know but you and your dentist that you have porcelain veneers.
Porcelain Veneers Conclusion
Porcelain veneers can give the ability to transform an ordinary smile into an extraordinary one. A well-trained, experienced cosmetic dentist can walk you thru the procedure, explaining if it is suitable for your smile. Unhappiness with your smile can have a profound impact on your life.
Suppose you are prone to hiding your smile or feel uncomfortable with the appearance of your teeth. If that is the case, your employment prospects may suffer, your personal and social life may be stunted, and you may diminish your general satisfaction with life in general. But you do not have to live like that.
With porcelain veneers, you can have a smile that lets you feel your most confident, attractive, and self-assured. Marielaina Perrone DDS works with an industry-leading dental laboratory to craft custom porcelain veneers that are designed to complement your unique smile and facial features perfectly.
The veneers offered by Dr. Perrone are durable, beautiful, and capable of addressing many cosmetic dental issues to produce a smile you will be proud to show the world.
If you have dental health concerns that need to be addressed or are ready to restore and beautify your smile, contact us today at 702-458-2929 to book your no-cost full mouth reconstruction or smile makeover consultation with Marielaina Perrone DDS. We cannot wait to help you with your smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction to create the smile of your dreams in Summerlin, Henderson, and Las Vegas, NV.