Dental crowns are required when you have a damaged tooth. Damage can occur from dental trauma or tooth decay. Porcelain crowns offer several distinct advantages over traditional dental crowns.
Metal free crowns look as natural as the teeth you are born with because they replicate the translucency of teeth (reflecting light like a natural tooth) and they ensure a long term dental solution for strengthening and rebuilding a damaged tooth. All Porcelain dental crowns offer both health and esthetic advantages.
Benefits Of Porcelain Crowns In Las Vegas Include:
- Resistant To Staining – A metal free crown will resist discoloration and stains.
- Custom Fit To Your Smile – Porcelain dental crowns can be custom matched in shape, color, and length to your smile.
- Comfort – Custom made to ensure a comfortable and precise fit.
- Tooth Protection – Covers the remaining natural tooth structure adding strength and rigidity.
- Low maintenance – Dental hygiene maintenance is the same as for your natural teeth. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing should be part of your daily routine.
- Safety and Allergy Free – The porcelain used is safe, effective, and allergy free.
- Durability – Dental porcelain is extremely strong. With proper maintenance can last 15 years or longer.
- Functionality – Metal free crowns will restore lost function.
Dental crowns provide a new outer shell for a tooth. They cover the tooth above your gum line. Having a crown placed typically feels no different than having any other dental restoration placed.
Dental crowns or partial dental crowns (dental onlays) are used when there’s not enough tooth structure to hold a filling. Crowns are custom fabricated from detailed dental impressions.
To prepare a tooth for a dental crown, it has to be prepared to the right shape. If your tooth is severely damaged from trauma or tooth decay, it will need to be filled before a crown can be placed.
Crowns have a very high success rate. They are an effective long term solution that offers more protection than a simple dental filling.
Dental crowns can sometimes become chipped but with proper care should last many years.
How To Know If You Need A Dental Crown in Las Vegas?
A complete examination during your initial dental visit will give your dentist the information to evaluate your smile. Your dentist can then guide you towards a possible treatment plan. Typical reasons for needing a dental crown include:
- Presence of extensive tooth decay
- Final restoration for a dental implant
- To replace a large existing dental filling
- Tooth that is cracked or fractured
- A tooth that has undergone root canal treatment
- To fix your bite. Includes grinding your teeth and the need to open your bite back up for TMJ reasons.
- For esthetics purposes: By restoring and enhancing your teeth’ size, shape, and color.
What Does Getting a Permanent Crown Involve In Las Vegas?
Typically, receiving a dental crown will take at minimum two dental visits.
The exact process may be slightly different for each type of dental crown.
- Your dentist will prepare your tooth. This preparation will include removing any tooth decay and may also include removing natural tooth structure. Your dentist must make enough room to accommodate the fitting of the final crown.
- The dentist will take an impression of your teeth. This impression gives the dental laboratory the information needed to fabricate your custom crown.
- A temporary crown is fabricated to protect the prepared tooth until the final crown is ready. You should take extra care of this temporary crown and avoid eating hard or sticky foods to prevent it from coming loose or fracturing. A temporary crown is strong but not indestructible.
- About two weeks later, your dentist will have the final crown ready.
- After checking fit, your new permanent crown is cemented in place.
Is The Dental Crowns or Porcelain Crowns Procedure Painful?
Las Vegas dentist Marielaina Perrone DDS will make you comfortable throughout the process.
You will be given local anesthesia in the area while your tooth or teeth are prepared for the dental crown. Local anesthesia may also be needed at the crown placement appointment.
After completing dental crown preparation and the temporary dental crowns are in place, you may feel some slight sensitivity in your gum tissues and around the temporary crown. This sensitivity will subside in a few hours.
Upon placement of the permanent crown, some discomfort is normal. Any discomfort is fleeting and will not last for long, if at all.
What To Expect Following A Porcelain Crown Procedure
After placement of your new porcelain crowns and healing. Proceed to eat and drink as you usually do. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing as normal is recommended.
You may want to switch to a toothpaste meant for sensitive teeth. This will be temporary until sensitivity settles down.
Some patients report that it takes a while to get used to the feeling of the newcrown; if the feeling persists for 5-7 days, contact your dentist. They may need to make an adjustment to ensure that the new crown fits your bite perfectly.
While porcelain crowns are strong and are able to last a long time, they need to be cared for, undergo regular dental examinations, and possibly be replaced if they become chipped or damaged.
Your dentist can repair minor chips. In contrast, extensive chips or excessive chipping may require replacing the entire crown.
If your crown has become loose, contact your dentist immediately.
Call your dentist as soon as possible if you lose a crown on your newly crowned tooth. Properly fitted dental crowns should feel and function just like your natural healthy teeth, with normal biting and chewing functions.
Metal Free Dental Crowns Vs. Metal Crowns
At one time, all dental crowns were made of metal. These crowns were made of gold. Gold crowns were perfect for non esthetic areas but did not offer the cosmetics patients craved. Porcelain fused to metal crowns (PFM crowns) are made up of a metal frame with a porcelain facing.
These are more esthetic than all gold crowns but have drawbacks. The porcelain can chip over time and the metal along the gum line can show a black line over time with gum recession.
All porcelain crowns offer a better cosmetic option. They are made of a mixture of zirconia and porcelain or 100% zirconia.. This solid zirconia crown offers strength but also allows for translucency to match our natural teeth. Also a great option for patients with metallic allergies.
What Problems Can A Metal Free Crown Fix In Las Vegas?
As with all types of dental crowns, porcelain crowns can help save a tooth badly damaged by tooth decay or trauma. They are used for the following:
- Protect a tooth with root canal treatment.
- Restore and enhance a broken tooth.
- Severely Discolored Teeth
- Help to support a dental bridge or keep dentures in place.
- Improve cosmetic appearance of your smile.
- Restore missing teeth with a dental implant.
- As a metal free dental bridge replacing missing teeth. The general distance for a metal free dental bridge would be 5-6 teeth. This will typically replace 3-4 missing teeth.
Porcelain Crowns for a Dental Implant
A dental implant is a titanium root like structure placed in the bone. This dental implant is only the first step in restoring your smile. There are 2 other parts. These 2 parts are called a dental abutment and a dental crown.
The abutment attaches directly to the implant simulating a natural tooth coming out of the gum line. This abutment needs another part, the dental crown, for it to be fully functional.
What’s the Difference Between a Crown and an Onlay?
A porcelain onlay requires removal of much less removal of natural tooth versus a dental crown. A dental onlay covers the cusp(s) of a tooth whereas dental crowns cover the whole biting surface and tooth structure above the gum line.
Are There Any Disadvantages of Metal Free Crowns in Las Vegas?
- As with all types of dental crowns, the tooth beneath needs to be prepared and made ready for the permanent crown. This involves removing some natural tooth.
- Some patients will experience temporary sensitivity to hot and/or cold following placement.
- Higher cost over traditional Porcelain fused to metal crowns.
- Porcelain crowns may sometimes chip. Small cracks can often be repaired without removal, whereas larger or multiple chips generally requires a complete replacement.
How Much Does A Dental Crown Cost in Las Vegas?
Typically, a dental crown will cost between $1100 – $2500. However, the dental crowns cost will adjust according to the type of dental crown chosen and if dental implants are involved.
If you require bone grafting, root canal treatment, or gum surgery, the price of the dental crown treatment plan will rise. Dental insurance benefits will offer different coverage depending on the type of plan you have. Check with your insurance company to see what your coverage is.
Are All Porcelain Dental Crowns Right for Me?
Dental crowns are necessary to restore a smile that has been damaged by tooth decay or trauma. Porcelain crowns can give you the cosmetic smile you have always dreamed about. Ask your dentist if porcelain crowns are right for your smile.
If you are ready for a smile makeover, contact Las Vegas dentist Marielaina Perrone DDS at (702) 458-2929 to schedule a no cost cosmetic consultation appointment. We cannot wait to help you with your smile makeover to create the smile of your dreams in Summerlin, Henderson, and Las Vegas, NV.