Benefits Of All Porcelain Crowns In Las Vegas
Dental crowns are required when you have a damaged tooth. Damage can occur from dental trauma or tooth decay. Porcelain crowns offer several distinct advantages over traditional dental crowns.
Metal free crowns look as natural as the teeth you are born with because they replicate the translucency of teeth (reflecting light like a natural tooth) and they ensure a long term dental solution for strengthening and rebuilding a damaged tooth. All Porcelain dental crowns offer both health and esthetic advantages.
Benefits Of Porcelain Crowns In Las Vegas Include:
- Resistant To Staining – A metal free crown will resist discoloration and stains.
- Custom Fit To Your Smile – Porcelain dental crowns can be custom matched in shape, color, and length to your smile.
- Comfort – Custom made to ensure a comfortable and precise fit.
- Tooth Protection – Covers the remaining natural tooth structure adding strength and rigidity.
- Low maintenance – Dental hygiene maintenance is the same as for your natural teeth. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing should be part of your daily routine.
- Safety and Allergy Free – The porcelain used is safe, effective, and allergy free.
- Durability – Dental porcelain is extremely strong. With proper maintenance can last 15 years or longer.
- Functionality – Metal free crowns will restore lost function.
What is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns provide a new outer shell for a tooth. They cover the tooth above your gum line. Having a crown placed typically feels no different than having any other dental restoration placed.
Dental crowns or partial dental crowns (dental onlays) are used when there’s not enough tooth structure to hold a filling. Crowns are custom fabricated from detailed dental impressions.
To prepare a tooth for a dental crown, it has to be prepared to the right shape. If your tooth is severely damaged from trauma or tooth decay, it will need to be filled before a crown can be placed.
Crowns have a very high success rate. They are an effective long term solution that offers more protection than a simple dental filling.
Dental crowns can sometimes become chipped but with proper care should last many years.
How To Know If You Need A Dental Crown in Las Vegas?
A complete examination during your initial dental visit will give your dentist the information to evaluate your smile. Your dentist can then guide you towards a possible treatment plan. Typical reasons for needing a dental crown include:
- Presence of extensive tooth decay
- Final restoration for a dental implant
- To replace a large existing dental filling
- Tooth that is cracked or fractured
- A tooth that has undergone root canal treatment
- To fix your bite. Includes grinding your teeth and the need to open your bite back up for TMJ reasons.
- For esthetics purposes: By restoring and enhancing your teeth’ size, shape, and color.
What Does Getting a Permanent Crown Involve In Las Vegas?
Typically, receiving a dental crown will take at minimum two dental visits.
The exact process may be slightly different for each type of dental crown.
- Your dentist will prepare your tooth. This preparation will include removing any tooth decay and may also include removing natural tooth structure. Your dentist must make enough room to accommodate the fitting of the final crown.
- The dentist will take an impression of your teeth. This impression gives the dental laboratory the information needed to fabricate your custom crown.
- A temporary crown is fabricated to protect the prepared tooth until the final crown is ready. You should take extra care of this temporary crown and avoid eating hard or sticky foods to prevent it from coming loose or fracturing. A temporary crown is strong but not indestructible.
- About two weeks later, your dentist will have the final crown ready.
- After checking fit, your new permanent crown is cemented in place.
Is The Dental Crowns or Porcelain Crowns Procedure Painful?
Dr. Marielaina Perrone, an accomplished dentist based in Las Vegas, prioritizes your comfort during the dental crown process. To ensure a painless experience, local anesthesia will be administered during tooth preparation and possibly during crown placement.
Following the preparation stage, temporary dental crowns will be placed, which may cause slight sensitivity in your gum tissues. However, this sensation is only temporary and will dissipate within a few hours.
It is common to experience some discomfort after the permanent crown is placed, but rest assured that this is fleeting and will subside quickly, if present at all. Dr. Perrone’s goal is to ensure a seamless and comfortable dental crown experience for all of her patients.
What To Expect Following A Porcelain Crown Procedure
Following the successful placement and healing of your new porcelain crowns, you can resume your regular diet and oral hygiene routine of brushing, flossing, and rinsing.
As a temporary measure until sensitivity subsides, it may be advisable to switch to a toothpaste formulated for sensitive teeth.
While some patients may take a few days to adjust to the sensation of their new crown, prolonged discomfort lasting 5-7 days should be reported to your dentist. They may need to make minor adjustments to ensure that the crown fits your bite perfectly and comfortably. Dr. Perrone, a Las Vegas-based dentist, is committed to providing her patients with exceptional care and comfort throughout the dental crown process.
How Long Do Porcelain Crowns Last?
While porcelain crowns are known for their durability and longevity, they still require regular care and dental checkups. In some cases, they may need to be replaced if they become damaged or chipped.
Minor chips can be easily repaired by Dr. Perrone. However, extensive or excessive chipping may require a complete replacement of the crown.
If your crown becomes loose, it is essential to contact Dr. Perrone immediately to prevent further damage.
In the event that your newly crowned tooth loses its crown, it is recommended to call your dentist as soon as possible. Properly fitted dental crowns should feel and function like your natural teeth, allowing for normal biting and chewing activities. Dr. Marielaina Perrone, a highly experienced dentist based in Las Vegas, emphasizes the importance of proper crown care and offers comprehensive dental services to ensure optimal oral health.
Metal Free Dental Crowns Vs. Metal Crowns
In the past, dental crowns were predominantly made of metal, specifically gold, which was ideal for non-esthetic areas but lacked the cosmetic appeal desired by patients. Porcelain fused to metal (PFM) crowns were then introduced, which consisted of a metal frame and porcelain facing, resulting in a more aesthetically pleasing option than all-gold crowns.
However, PFM crowns have their drawbacks, such as the risk of porcelain chipping over time and the potential for a black line to appear along the gum line due to metal exposure caused by gum recession.
An alternative option that offers superior aesthetics is all-porcelain crowns, made of a combination of zirconia and porcelain or 100% zirconia, which offers both strength and translucency to mimic natural teeth. Additionally, these crowns are an excellent choice for patients with metallic allergies. Dr. Marielaina Perrone offers various dental crown options and can help patients select the best choice for their smile.
What Problems Can A Metal Free Crown Fix In Las Vegas?
As with all types of dental crowns, porcelain crowns can help save a tooth badly damaged by tooth decay or trauma. They are used for the following:
- Protect a tooth with root canal treatment.
- Restore and enhance a broken tooth.
- Severely Discolored Teeth
- Help to support a dental bridge or keep dentures in place.
- Improve cosmetic appearance of your smile.
- Restore missing teeth with a dental implant.
- As a metal free dental bridge replacing missing teeth. The general distance for a metal free dental bridge would be 5-6 teeth. This will typically replace 3-4 missing teeth.
Porcelain Crowns for a Dental Implant
A dental implant is a titanium root like structure placed in the bone. This dental implant is only the first step in restoring your smile. There are 2 other parts. These 2 parts are called a dental abutment and a dental crown.
The abutment attaches directly to the implant simulating a natural tooth coming out of the gum line. This abutment needs another part, the dental crown, for it to be fully functional.
What’s the Difference Between a Crown and an Onlay?
A porcelain onlay requires removal of much less removal of natural tooth versus a dental crown. A dental onlay covers the cusp(s) of a tooth whereas dental crowns cover the whole biting surface and tooth structure above the gum line.
Are There Any Disadvantages of Metal Free Crowns in Las Vegas?
- As with all types of dental crowns, the tooth beneath needs to be prepared and made ready for the permanent crown. This involves removing some natural tooth.
- Some patients will experience temporary sensitivity to hot and/or cold following placement.
- Higher cost over traditional Porcelain fused to metal crowns.
- Porcelain crowns may sometimes chip. Small cracks can often be repaired without removal, whereas larger or multiple chips generally requires a complete replacement.
How Much Does A Dental Crown Cost in Las Vegas?
Typically, a dental crown will cost between $1100 – $2500. However, the dental crowns cost will adjust according to the type of dental crown chosen and if dental implants are involved.
If you require bone grafting, root canal treatment, or gum surgery, the price of the dental crown treatment plan will rise. Dental insurance benefits will offer different coverage depending on the type of plan you have. Check with your insurance company to see what your coverage is.
Are All Porcelain Dental Crowns Right for Me?
Dental crowns are an essential treatment option for restoring damaged smiles caused by tooth decay or trauma. Porcelain crowns can significantly enhance the cosmetic appearance of your teeth, providing the beautiful smile you’ve always desired. Consult with Dr. Perrone to determine if porcelain crowns are a suitable solution for your smile.
If you’re looking to achieve a complete smile makeover, schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation with Dr. Marielaina Perrone DDS by contacting (702) 458-2929. Our dental team is excited to assist you in creating the smile of your dreams in Las Vegas, Henderson, or Summerlin, NV.