Cosmetic dentistry is usually not the first place people look when they are desiring to look younger. Generally a plastic surgeon is the first stop for that task. Cosmetic Dentistry procedures such as teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, or even dental bonding can make a dramatic effect on a person’s outward appearance. Studies have shown that a person’s smile has a significant impact on how people look at them. More importantly, it affects how a person perceives themselves. Not only will they look younger but they will feel younger too.
Top Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
1) Teeth Whitening. This is the most common cosmetic dentistry procedure in the United States. It is not a classified secret that whiter teeth are considered more beautiful. But most people do not consider that teeth whitening can even make you look younger and healthier. Teeth whitening allows you to remove staining caused by drinking coffee, smoking, red wine, or even certain types of foods. Teeth whitening is considered a simple procedure that can be done in office or at home. Although simple it can give dramatic results that can instantly transform a dull, lifeless smile.
2) Porcelain Veneers and Porcelain Crowns. As we age our teeth and smiles can change dramatically. Teeth can shift, they can become worn down, or maybe they were never perfect to begin with. Porcelain veneers and porcelain crowns may be the answer to give you that Hollywood smile you always dreamed about. Porcelain
Veneers are custom made, ultra thin, tooth colored shells that are adhesively bonded to the teeth. This allows the cosmetic dentist to not only alter color of your teeth but shape and length as well. Porcelain veneers are sometimes referred to as instant orthodontics. This is because porcelain veneers can change the alignment of teeth if they are not too misaligned. Porcelain crowns would be utilized on teeth that either already have crowns or need more extensive work (having large restorations or decay). Both porcelain veneers and porcelain crowns can as used in cosmetic dentistry to give the patient a flawless, more youthful and sexy smile.
3) Dental Bonding. This cosmetic dentistry procedure can be completed in as little as one visit and along with teeth whitening can dramatically alter the look and color of your smile. Dental bonding is the process in which tooth colored dental materials are bonded to a tooth. This is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that can be used to repair or improve the cosmetic appearance of a tooth that has been stained, fractured or chipped. This procedure is also used to close spaces or gaps between teeth.
4) Dental Implants. Many patients do not think of cosmetic dentistry when you mention dental implants. But dental implants can be extremely aesthetic especially in the front of the mouth. Missing teeth has long been a sign of old age. Having a full complement of teeth screams youth especially when they are bright, white, and sparkling.
When a person is missing a tooth they have several options. There are partial and complete dentures, traditional bridges, and dental implants. A dental implant can look and feel just like a natural tooth. It is often easier to keep clean as well vs a traditional bridge. Dental implants are placed directly into bone creating a solid foundation for a natural tooth replacement.
5) Bite Reclamation. Over time as we use our teeth we tend to lose some height on our teeth. This loss of height of height is also referred to as loss of
vertical dimension. Some other factors that cause this loss include acid reflux or teeth grinding (bruxism). Reclaiming a person’s bite utilizing dental implants and porcelain crowns will increase vertical height which will also remove some of the wrinkles around the mouth. These wrinkles develop as our mouth’s sag from this loss of dimension.
Evolution of Cosmetic Dentistry
Modern cosmetic dentistry has evolved to a point where your dentist is able to complete a smile makeover to make you look and feel younger. Procedures we consider routine today were unheard of 15-20 years ago. Modern materials allow us to create smiles that reflect light just like your natural teeth.
Cosmetic Dentistry techniques have also changed over time. Dentists main role was simply preventive and treatment of pain. Now with cosmetic dentistry, dentists are able to transform the smile of anyone into one they can be proud of and want to smile all the time.