Is There A Fun Alternative To Halloween Candy?
Halloween is a fun time but also one of apprehension on the part of most parents. We always worry about our kids, but at certain times of the year, the worries become more pronounced. For parents, the worry at Halloween time, is the amount of candy their kids consume. This is due to a variety of reasons, behavior, weight gain, but especially their dental health. We all know by now eating lots of sugar and candy can lead to an increased risk of tooth decay. So what are some fun alternatives to that sugary, gooey candy that causes so many problems?
Top 10 Candy Alternatives
1. Sugar free xylitol gum. This is a great alternative to candy as it promotes dental health. The chewing action of the gum actually promotes salivary flow which lessens the amount of time the sugars stay in the mouth thereby lowering the risk factors for tooth decay. This is also recommended as a tool after your kids indulge in candy to keep their mouths clean between brushing.
2. Halloween Stickers. Kids love stickers especially Halloween ones. The spookier and scarier the better and kids love them. You can even hand these out at the door to the neighborhood kids.
3. Vampire Teeth, spider rings. Go for the glow in the dark ones. Always a hit even with older kids.
4. Temporary Halloween Tattoos. If you go this route make sure you buy some that are for all ages and not just the cute bats and pumpkins. The older kids will want scary tattoos that look more mature.
5. Pretzels, potato chips & popcorn. There are many fun sized bags of these snacks available, a great choice and kids love them.
6. Pencils with Halloween erasers.
7. Silly String. Kids and adults love silly string.
9. Halloween glow necklaces and bracelets. Fun and great for safety as you walk through the neighborhood!
10. Halloween Balloons.
Tips for Good Oral Health at Halloween and everyday!
-Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste