Importance Of Regular Dental Cleanings
We have all heard the rules about dental care including having regular dental cleanings every 6 months. Many people neglect this advice and go far longer between visits. This can be quite dangerous to our teeth as well as our overall health. Below you will find some of the top reasons to see your dental hygienist regularly.
Top 8 Reasons To See Your Dental Hygienist
1. To Diagnose Oral Cancer Early - Statistics show that someone dies from oral cancer every hour of every day in the United States alone. The best way to stop oral cancer in its tracks is to catch it early. Regular dental visits will include an oral cancer screening. These screenings will include manually feeling around the head and neck, examination of the oral tissues for changes, and the use of a special light (Velscope) to see beyond what our eyes can see. The difference truly is life and death. Choose life.
2. To Prevent Periodontal Disease – Periodontal disease is an infection in the gum and bone tissues surrounding your teeth. Periodontal disease is very treatable and manageable in its earliest stages. This early stage is known as gingivitis. Gingivitis is reversible but once it progresses past this stage (into periodontitis) it is not reversible and becomes much more difficult to treat. Regular dental checkups, dental cleanings, along with proper brushing and flossing can keep periodontal disease at bay.
3. To Keep Your Teeth - Regular dental cleanings will help you keep all of your teeth for your entire life. Poor dental hygiene will lead to tooth decay and tooth loss. Having regular dental cleanings will help ensure that you live a long life with all of your teeth intact.
4. To Maintain Overall Health – Recent research has been mounting showing that periodontal disease has been related to heart disease, strokes, and even diabetes. Keeping a regular dental schedule will lead to better overall dental health. According to the research, a dental cleaning every 6 months helps to keep your teeth and gums healthy and could possibly reduce your risk of heart disease and strokes.
5. To Prevent Bad Breath – This is also called Halitosis. This is a major problem for millions of people around the world. Walk into any drug store and you will see shelves full of products that claim to help with bad breath issues. The best way to maintain your breath is thru regular dental cleanings and diligent at home dental care. This includes brushing, flossing and use of an anti bacterial mouth rinse.
6. To Keep Your Teeth Whiter - Your dental hygienist can remove most tooth stains, including tobacco, coffee and tea stains. During your cleaning, your hygienist will be able to polish your teeth to a beautiful shine. The end result? A whiter and brighter smile! This will lead to even more smiling on your part.
7. Early Detection Of Any Dental Problems – Early detection of any dental issues can lead to easier and cheaper care to fix the problems. If tooth decay or periodontal disease is left untreated it can lead to larger dental procedures such as root canal therapy, periodontal gum surgery or removal of teeth.
8. To Use Your Dental Insurance – Your dental insurance usually covers a dental examination and dental cleaning every 6 months. Also, most dental insurances cover 100% of this cost. If you have the dental insurance benefit why not stay healthy at the same time.
The reasons above should give you all the evidence you need to maintain good dental hygiene. It is far simpler to see your dentist for an hour or so every 6 months than to neglect your dental care. Neglecting dental care will lead to bigger more costly and painful issues.